Saturday, April 6, 2013

Questions and The Little Things



James Thurber once said that it was “always better to know some of the questions than to know all of the answers.” Yet, as humans we like to know all of the answers. I personally will attest to the fact that I get scared not having all of the answers or my life laid out right in front of me. Then again, I wonder what good would that be? Would life be worth living then? So just to get more complicated, all I did was answer my anxieties over not having the answers with even more questions. However, there is always beauty to be found in our inability to have all of the answers. One thing is for certain; if we can ask the questions we are inevitably amused and intrigued by the stories that come out of other people’s answers.


I know I have talked about Mema before and luckily for me, I got to spend some time with her over Easter holiday. While she shuffled the deck of her cards and started to lay them out to play solitaire, I looked at her and just started asking her questions. When did you and Papa get married? Do you remember the day I was born? What was your favorite childhood memory? The list went on but what I was noticing was that Mema did not have the answers either. Yet, this is not because she simply did not know but because her mind was getting weaker and her memory is beginning to fade. When she got frustrated with me asking her questions, something inside of me clicked.

We worry so much about not having the answers about our careers, our kids, or love and other things so much so that we forget the answers to questions we already do know. We can answer people about how many friends we have, how many camping trips we took, and that time when Dad cried watching Titanic (do not let him deny it). We are creatures of worry and constant insecurities about the answers to questions that we do not know. But, why is it so hard to find comfort in the life’s worth of answers to other questions that we already have?

Mema is now having trouble maintaining those old answers and hell, she still has questions herself too about old age and death. But, now she is finding herself with just questions and losing touch with all of her answers. It can be scary to see, especially as a grandchild. After talking with Mema, I took a longer drive home to go past the places where I found a lot of answers in life thus far. I visited my house on Cherokee Drive where I gained answers on adolescence, the high school where I found the answers in education, and I later hung out with my dog whose loyalty gives the reasoning to why our dogs are our best friends.

All I can say is that I definitely agree with Mr. Thurber, it is good to have some questions than to know all of the answers. Embrace the answers as they come, and know that eventually they will even if they are not in your favor. More importantly, when you do get the answers from experiences and memories, make sure you hold them close always. We may loose touch with them some day and then be left with nothing but questions as we age. Luckily, Mema knows the answers to some of my questions still; it just takes time to squeeze them out of her even if she claims she does not remember. Plus, she still knows how to give a good answer, with a lot of humor and frankness. I am glad we all learned that from her. Recognize that those questions do exist and let the answers to them come as they may but most significantly, share all the answers about your life that you already have. Your answers and stories may solve someone else’s questions. Treasure the little things and keep questioning. Here is to a better tomorrow.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment