Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Goodbyes and The Little Things


Think about the last time you said goodbye to someone or something. Do you remember? How easy was it? How hard was it? For the longest time I have been told of and experienced the harsh brutality that comes with having to say a goodbye. It's weird I suppose, the majority of the time we expect them to be hard in the moments leading up to it but it still never seems to make the moment any less harder or emotional. I think a lot of us can find truth in that statement.


A few days ago, I visited a place I said goodbye to a while ago, Brookfield High School. I was running and decided to take an old but still familiar path around the fields. I crashed the football team's practice and was welcomed back on the old field with open arms and lots of catching up. It was a short pit-stop to my final check point at the old equipment shed, still splashed with old graffiti of young high schoolers and still heavy with a lot of character--character that brought back many memories. I did a few exercises up and down the hill and when I turned to walk around the front of the shed, a familiar shade of blue caught the corner of my eye.

It was a blue Brookfield football practice jersey simply coating the top of the fence as the gate doors brushed up against it. I could not help but remember the days I wore the Brookfield blue before I said goodbye to it. But, it was not until I looked closer at the jersey did I notice something even closer to my heart. Written on the jersey was the number, 51. It was almost as if the jersey was sitting there and watching, waiting for me to waltz by it. And for some inexplicable reason, I found it and it found me. For those who may not know, the number 51 has been a symbol to the Consalvo family for generations. It started as a number on an address and evolved into a football jersey number that has now become our common lucky number in the family. Some of us like to look at it like a guardian in one sense or another.


Once I saw the 51 on the jersey it was almost as if a picture-perfect moment transpired. I smiled at the site of it and the meaning it still has, just as I did so, the sun faded down onto my face. I turned to glimpse back at the football team then once more at the jersey. And as I stepped to walk away, the drum-line instantly picked up to cap off a wondrous little moment I shared with myself.


When we say goodbye to someone or something, depending on the circumstance, we think it is a definite one--a permanent one. But to our dismay and surprise, good people and good things never really seem to stay gone. I thought I said goodbye to BHS, to Brookfield, to Pop, and to 51. But the high school's hallowed halls still feel dense with countless memories, Pop's cologne can infuse the air once in a while, and the number 51 will appear when I least expect it but I most need it. Maybe it's a sort of phenomenon or disillusion, but it keeps me balanced and sane so maybe something is working.


So there is a beauty to be found in saying goodbye I suppose, as hard as I take it though sometimes. There tend to be little pieces, visions, trinkets of those that we say goodbye to that find their way back into our lives at sometimes the most surprising but most necessary moments. I said goodbye to my family before leaving for Spain, as hard as it was. Watching Mom get choked up and Dad roll his eyes obviously made me immediately miss them. But I guess it is like I said, maybe there will be little pieces or trinkets of life I see along the way around the world that brings those special people and things right back to me. It is the kind of thing that makes you smile humbly walking down a sidewalk or around a street corner. It may be a mother gently waving her fingers over her sleeping son's arms or a father teaching his son how to smoke a cigar blind to the fact that the kid is actually choking. In any facet, I find comfort in the belief that all I love and care about is with me in every step I take in life. Sometimes the thought is the only thing to keep us happy and grateful. So really, I guess I don't believe in goodbyes, rather, I anticipate the, "Hello, again." Here is to a better tomorrow.

-M






No comments:

Post a Comment